I think it’s the colors that Sweet Georgia Yarns come in . . . they’re so vibrant and deep and rich and yummy! I couldn’t resist ordering several, even though I had no projects in mind. I figured that if I ordered them in worsted weight, it wouldn’t be that hard to put them to use.
It’s a good thing I wasn’t in a rush, because it took four weeks to get them (they hand dye to order). All three skeins are Sweet Georgia merino silk aran (185 yds – 50% merino 50% silk). Here’s what I came up with:
Blackberry scarf: Knit in Ginger Rib, a free pattern from Sweet Georgia (I used US 10s instead of the recommended US 11s, which just felt too loose). I modified it slightly by casting on 28 (instead of 30) and used up an entire skein of Color Blackberry. The scarf was knit to match a pair of Blackberry mitts I made earlier.
Savory cowl: Also knit in the Ginger Rib pattern on US 10s, with one skein of Savory – I cast on 24 stitches and grafted the two ends together after cast-off to make a cowl.
Cayenne mitts: The pattern is Clepsydra Mittens from Kirsten Kapur. I knit on US 5s dpns (instead of the recommended US 6s) and used almost an entire skein of color Cayenne (the actually color isn’t quite as orange as it looks in the pics).
*I worked 9 repeats of the cabled cord for the cuff (instead of 10)
*On the third repeat of Chart 1, I worked only through row 5 (instead of row 19)
*For the top of the mitten decrease, I used the same decreases (ssk and k2tog at beginning and end of chart section and at beginning and end of stockinette section) but just knit the knit stitches and purled the purl stitches (I couldn’t use the instructions because they were based on having knit all the way to row 19 of the chart first)
*For the thumb, I picked up 3 stitches in the gap (instead of 2) and then knit as follows:
Rounds 1, 2, 3, and 4 – K2tog for decrease of one stitch Rounds 5 and 6 – Knit Round 7 – K2tog for one stitch decrease Round 8 – Knit
Then I followed the thumb decrease rows directions (but ended each round w/ K2)
These mods were all necessary because otherwise the mitts turned out huge! Not sure if it was because of the yarn I was using, or just the nature of the pattern, but these mods made for a much better fit (although they’re still pretty roomy).Pin It