These mice are presents for two little girls holding a joint birthday party next week. The pattern is titled Henry and Henrietta Mice, by Rebecca Danger, but I thought the birthday girls would like girl mice who are best friends, just like they are. Well-written pattern, not too time-consuming to knit – next time, I’d use smaller gauge yarn, and probably try to knit it tighter (this yarn was gauged for US 6s and I knit it on US 4s). Because of the yarn I used, they came out bigger than the mice knit for the pattern – I’d say the body/head is almost 12” tall. I think that the yarn called for in the pattern (Malabrigo Sock) would have looked nicer, this yarn was too solid in color – I would have liked that handpainted variation, just to give a little depth and interest.
Yarn: Elsbeth Lavold Cool Wool (50% wool, 50% cotton) in colors 04 (peridot green) and 10 (orange) – each mouse took 1 1/2 skeins (approx. 150 yds total)
Mods: Knit 55 rounds (instead of 70) for arms (otherwise they would have been crazy long!) and c/o 4 sts (instead of 6) for i-cord tail
I cut the flowers out of felt, sewed the layers together with thread through a single center bead, then sewed onto the mouse’s head. Eyes are buttons with a single shank, nose and belly button knit with black wool stash yarn.Pin It