Inspired by this Stitched in Color blog post, I used the Marissa dress pattern to sew two different versions of the same dress. I used size 9/10 – a perfect fit for my 9 1/2-year-old daughter – and sewed the skirt at 40” long and 80” wide. I used the Birch Fabrics organic Mod Basics bundle in color Grass from Fabricworm for the skirt – just pieced together each of the fat quarters for enough length to make a strip for the skirt. I needed six quarters and I didn’t like how the solid color matched (or rather, didn’t match), so I snagged a sixth from another fat quarter bundle of the same fabric line that I’d purchased for a different project.
I initially tried using the complementary solid color for the bodice, but the color was really off, so I ripped it out and luckily, I had used white lawn cotton for the lining – the lining became the exterior, and the solid green looks really nice as the lining. I’m glad I took the time to rip some of it out and re-sew it like that, I’m much happier with the finished product.
I wanted to dress up the waist cummerbund a little bit, but didn’t have another fabric I wanted to incorporate, so I used shiny green variegated embroidery thread and just sewed lines back and forth – it looks great when it’s pleated up to make the cummerbund.
One of the easiest patterns to follow that I’ve ever sewed – the dress took only a few hours, if that, even though it includes sewing in a zipper (something I always struggle with). I liked the pattern so much that I sewed a second dress – same dimensions, but this time I used a beautiful Japanese floral cotton from this Etsy site, and some pink satin that I picked up at the local fabric store. Because I had limited fabric and wanted a little different look, I sewed the skirt with less fabric around (I think approx 50”) – less gathering meant a skirt that wasn’t as full. I thought that the straighter skirt looked a little more formal.Pin It