I found a pattern I liked and ran with it . . . Ferryboat Mitts by Churchmouse. I experimented with different yarns, all knit on US 5s 12″ circular (dpns for the thumb), which is one size smaller than the pattern called for. The pattern is easy and goes quickly, but even so, I’m kind of burning out on it by now!
These are knit in all of the colors of my Spud & Chloe Sweater stash yarn, striped at regular intervals. The women’s sizing knit me spot-on.
However, when I knit the mitts on the left out of Berocco Ultra Alpaca, color Buckwheat in the women’s size, the portion from the thumb up was way too big, so I reduced several stitches every couple of rows until bind-off. The mitts on the right, knit in color Forest Mix, are the men’s size, but I still only cast on 40 sts, because I thought the 44 sts called for in the pattern would make them too baggy. The nice thing about these mitts is that they’re stretchy, so they’re very flexible on sizing, but if you want a snug fit, the stretchiness means that you have to get them small enough that they don’t bag.
These are knit from Anzula For Better or Worsted, in colors Grape and Persimmon, both women’s sizes – the sizing worked well in this yarn, and I didn’t have to make any modifications to the stitch count.