Rainbow Blocks blanket: the end (finally!)

by onblueberryhill on March 16, 2013

rainbow blocks blanket 1

This is probably one of my greatest knitting achievements – 108 squares of Koigu’s gorgeous colors!  I first saw this project as a crochet pattern on Purl Bee; after experimenting a little, I figured out how to knit the squares, and set myself a goal of knitting one a day.  In that way, it didn’t become too overwhelming, I didn’t get too bored with knitting all those squares, and I could work on other knitting projects at the same time.

rainbow blocks blanket 2

With only a few exceptions, I stuck to my goal, and three months later, I had all 108 squares completed!  I sewed them together with a blanket stitch, after laying them out per the Purl Bee’s schematic (I made a few minor modifications, but by and large stuck to the colors and the order they were laid out).  Sewing them all together was a huge task in and of itself, so I set myself a goal of one row a day – it’s all in the pacing!

rainbow blocks blanket 3

The yarn is Koigu KPM (100% merino), knit on US 3s dpns –  I bought the entire kit from Purl Soho, but they also list out the individual color codes (41 different colors) in the layout schematic.  Along with all of the colors, they provided 11 skeins of the white/neutral color (color code 0000) – unfortunately, I needed one more skein.  I had to buy it from somewhere else, and even though it’s the exact same yarn and color code number, it was really different.  I knew that Koigu dyed in small batches, but I didn’t expect that the basic white color would have a variation.  That wasn’t too bad, but what was really disappointing was how thin the new skein was.  Why would it be that Koigu would differ so much skein to skein in its gauge?  Luckily, I only had half a dozen blocks or so to do, but they turned out a lot thinner than the others, and I wouldn’t like the blanket near so much – it wouldn’t be as squishy and thick – if all of the blocks had been knit with yarn similar to that final skein.

rainbow blocks blanket 4

The final dimensions are 43″ x 55″ – a generously sized throw – and I like the heavy, substantial feel of the blanket.  The blocks don’t lie completely flat when sewn together, but I think that adds to its charm.  This is definitely an heirloom piece, and not one that I’ll likely give away – I need to find a way to save it (cedar chest?) for the future.

rainbow blocks blanket 5

Now I have TONS of Koigu left – there’s enough of each skein of color to make at least two more blankets like this!  All you would have to do is buy the Koigu white – by my calculation, 12 skeins.  I’m hoping to sell this huge bag of wound Koigu colors to someone who wants to make a blanket like this, but at a substantial savings off the original cost of the kit.  If anyone out there is interested, please let me know!  (Update:  I’ve found a buyer for the yarn, thank you to everyone who contacted me to express interest!)

rainbow blocks blanket 6

Pin It

{ 30 comments… read them below or add one }

Debbie Warren March 16, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Amazing! What a fantastic job you have done, it is just beautiful. I am trying to teach myself to crochet to make the original , but your knitted version looks so lovely, I think I will just try your version instead! I would be interested in your remaining wool if you are keen to sell on – the colours are just amazing. Did you have to soak the colours first?

Pam D'Esopo March 17, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I also put a comment on Ravelry; this work is SPLENDID!, Oh, it is SO SO beautiful!!! Magnificent knitting project.

Emily March 18, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Really nice & inspiring – especially your approach of doing a little each day – very wise! Enjoy your beautiful work!

Christina W March 18, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Oh my goodness, this is GORGEOUS. I would LOVE to do this!

Helen March 18, 2013 at 3:59 pm

This is gorgeous and so much beautiful work. I just want to stop everything I’m doing and make one myself. How much are you selling the remnants?

Ann March 18, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Gorgeous blanket!
I would be interested in your ‘leftovers’… What would the price be?
I have no idea…

Thanks – Ann

Celine Seideman March 18, 2013 at 4:40 pm

What a beautiful piece of work! Are you willing to share the knitting instructions? Thanks!

Megan March 18, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Gorgeous! I too am interested in the leftover yarn :-)

Tracy March 18, 2013 at 6:45 pm

LOVE this!! I fell in love with the Bear Blanket the instant I saw it, but don’t crochet! Love the idea of knitting one square a day–makes a huge project seem manageable. If you havent already sold your extra yarn, I would be interested in purchasing it. Please send me an email. Thank you!

Marina March 18, 2013 at 8:08 pm

That looks amazing! So, if you still have it, how much were you thinking of asking for your left over kit?

Meredith March 18, 2013 at 10:00 pm

This blanket is fabulous! What an achievement. I love it. And what a great idea to sell the leftovers to another blanket maker!

schoenstricken March 18, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Hi! Your blanket is so very beautiful!!! I just posted it on my german knittingsblog: http://schoenstricken.de/2013/03/patchworkdecke-stricken-aus-bunten-quadraten/
Best from Berlin, Jessica

Laura Musto March 18, 2013 at 11:47 pm

It´s lovely! I don´t know how to crochet… can you post the pattern to knit it with 2 needles?

Hope you can!

Laura

Crystal March 19, 2013 at 12:08 am

I would love to make one of these! How much are you thinking of selling your colours for? :)

Laura March 19, 2013 at 10:26 am

I felt the same as you did when I saw the blanket: I want to make it but I don’t want to learn to crochet! So thank you very much for sharing the knitting pattern. Are you still looking to sell the leftover yarn or has it been snatched up?

Leonie Goodwin March 19, 2013 at 10:33 am

What an amazing rug …. just beautiful and I love the colours.

Planet Penny March 19, 2013 at 10:42 am

Absolutely beautiful, and so in tune with the Planet Penny rainbow vibe! It’s encouraging me to think that with a bit of application on the ‘one a day’ front I might just finish my crochet blanket!

Vicky March 19, 2013 at 11:06 am

Very impressive! You have inspired me to get back to work on my knitted quilt kit that I purchased from Knitpicks 2 years ago. I’ve put it aside for about a year. Setting a small goal is a great idea. I may try a different approach, for devoting a small amount of time each day to it….say 30 min. a day. If I get back to work on it now, I may be able to finish it by the fall. You can see my blocks on my Ravelry page. My Ravelry user name is: Hatchling222

Susie March 19, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I made this pattern (several times) as a scarf. I blocked each square prior to sewing them together. They laid flat and the pattern looked more finished. I can’t wait to get started on this blanket, it is lovely.

Kate March 19, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I would love the pattern so I can learn to do this. It’s beautiful!

Green March 19, 2013 at 4:11 pm

What a gorgeous blanket. I would love to knit something like this. Such a labor of love, too. I tend to get bored knitting the same thing over and over (just ask the dahlia sweater I’ve been hauling around with me for the last two years). Great job!

Lynette March 19, 2013 at 9:41 pm

It’s awesome. And yes, thank you, for sharing the knit version.

Natalyon March 19, 2013 at 10:53 pm

It’s beautiful, you did great
I would love to get up in the morning and see this, I am sure it would get me in a good mood for the day :-)

Ara M March 20, 2013 at 11:50 am

This is stunning and you’ve accomplished a real piece of art. Are you selling the pattern by any chance? I’d love to try my hand at this, and, since I don’t crochet, it’s clear yours is the pattern I’d like to use.

Ara M March 20, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Found your instructions to knit the squares. Thanks so much!

hsilvers March 21, 2013 at 7:47 am

Hi any chance of having a copy of the pattern for the squares. I am only able to knit small amount due to shoulder and elbow problems and this would be a great project. Thanks

hsilvers March 21, 2013 at 7:50 am

Hi Like the other comment I have found the pattern, didn’t see the clicky finger over the link
Many thanks though

jody December 20, 2013 at 5:50 am

wow, lucky me, i got to see the Purl Bee crocheted version, then your beginning and end all in one sitting! gorgeous and wonderful that you modified this to knitting for you! sounds like there were many others who will follow your lead. absolutely gorgeous, wonderful job!!

Doris McCarthy March 13, 2014 at 3:25 am

where can the instructions to knit these squares be found?

onblueberryhill March 17, 2014 at 1:28 pm