As a continuation of my renovation of the vegetable garden this spring, I tore out all of the old, wooden raised flower beds that ringed the inside of the fence, and in their place, I’m using galvanized water tanks. The tanks are 6′ long and 2′ tall, and I couldn’t afford to buy enough to run along the entire fence line, but I think I’m going to like how they look with a little space in between.
I purchased the tanks at a local feed store and used a 1/2″ drill bit to drill multiple drainage holes in the bottom. Then, I dug out all of the flowers from the old bed and set them aside to wait to be transplanted. Next I shoveled out dirt from the old bed into a wheelbarrow, used a hammer to break apart the old bed and haul away the pieces of wood, then scraped the dirt level and moved the tank into place. I used a level to make sure it was at least approximately level front to back and side to side, then shoveled all of the old dirt back in. The dirt only filled up about half of the tank, though, so I then hauled new dirt (a three-way mix of topsoil, sandy loam, and compost) from the site across the yard where the dump truck delivered it, into the veggie garden, and then shoveled into the new bed. The last step was to transplant the flowers back into the new bed.
Several great things about these galvanized tanks – they’ll last at least as long (if not longer) than pressure-treated wood, they’re tall and, being metal, will make it difficult for critters to climb up and eat my flower bulbs, they’ve got solid bottoms so the voles and mice can’t burrow in from underneath, and as the metal heats up, it will nicely warm the soil. The only real downside is how expensive they are, which is why I installed only nine of them.
I still need to re-run the irrigation, so that the tubing goes up from behind the tanks and the dripline can be laid along the soil. I can’t wait to see how they look when the flowers are all grown in lush and blooming!