I was attracted to this pattern because of the yarn – The Fiber Co. Canopy Fingering (50% baby alpaca, 30% merino, 20% bamboo viscose) and because I loved how the colors I chose went together. However, I’m not as thrilled with it now that it’s knit up.
The pattern is Unruly Shawl, knit on US 7s. I liked the colors together as skeins, but I’m not sure that I really like them striped together, even though the pattern keeps the stripes from being too “regular” by using short rows. I used Sarsparilla for the MC (2 skeins), and 1 skein each of Sumac (CC1) and Plum (CC2).
I’m also not crazy about the shape, because it really allows you to only wear it one way – with the middle set on your shoulders, and the two ends wrapped around. This is a great idea in concept, but I always feel like wearing a shawl like this is too much of a “little old woman” look.
Finally, I just really got sick of garter stitch – it was fine at the beginning, because of course you start out with only a few stitches, but by the end, at over 300 sts per row, I was worn out! I used CC1 instead of MC as the final row color, because I wanted a little less emphasis on the brown/grey tone, and when I ran out of CC1 only about 1/3 of the way through the last color stripe rows, I took it as a sign that it was time to stop and just finished up with several full-length rows and a cast-off. Glad to be done!
After trying it on for photos, I feel a little better about it – the stripes don’t look so “stripy” when it’s wrapped around my neck, and I was able to wear it in several different ways. The test will be whether it’s the shawl that I pull out of my drawer when I’m getting dressed and looking for something beautiful to wear 🙂Pin It