I love YOTH yarns – they’re so soft, and the coloring is absolutely gorgeous. I usually wouldn’t knit an entire piece of clothing in the fingering weight YOTH Little Brother – it takes too long! But I thought I could manage a cami/tank, and YOTH produced a beautiful pattern for just this purpose: Number Collection 003.
I used only 2 skeins of YOTH Little Brother in Peach and knit on US 5s (down a size recommended by the pattern in order to get gauge). I chose size medium (38″), which would theoretically give me less than an inch of positive ease, because I wanted a fit and flattering look for this summer top.
Although it’s a little time-consuming, the pretty lace edging cast-on is a beautiful detail. As predicted, it did feel like I was moving pretty slowly, but knowing that I didn’t have sleeves, collar or buttonband at the end made it more bearable. I was worried about how the neckline would roll, but it looks really pretty that way. I like the braided detail on the straps, and it has the added benefit of making them feel very sturdy and reducing the possibility that they will stretch over time. However, I should have made them an inch longer – the pattern says not to worry that they look short because they’ll stretch during blocking, but mine didn’t stretch enough. Also, the straps ended up on the far edges of my shoulders – they fit fine, and don’t slip off, but it’s a little unusual in terms of how tanks usually fit.
I knit the piece a little shorter than I would usually, because I know that this yarn can really stretch when it’s wet-blocked. I was careful when I blocked it, and didn’t add to the size at all, but nonetheless, it turned out huge! I’m not sure why – I picked a size that shouldn’t have allowed for much ease, and I got gauge – maybe it’s the A-line shape, or maybe my gauge was off. Whatever the reason, I was really swimming in it, even before I blocked it.
I couldn’t bear to have it end up in my “unwearables” pile, so I took a drastic step – basically, I steeked it! I pinned up the back, tapering from 2″ at the top to almost 8″ (!) at the bottom. I adjusted the pins a few times and tried it on, so that I liked the fit. Then I sewed it at the fold, and cut off the excess (the photo below is the piece that I ended up cutting out) Amazingly, it worked! It waves a little along the bottom hem on my back, but I actually like the effect. You can see the seamline in the photo above – I think it’s barely noticeable.
I’m really glad I took the plunge and did the surgery, because I really like how it looks now – although I can’t help thinking about all of that extra and unnecessary knitting I did